Re: [nmrg] network digital twin vs. digital twin network

Cheng Zhou <zhouchengyjy@chinamobile.com> Wed, 08 March 2023 13:04 UTC

From: Cheng Zhou <zhouchengyjy@chinamobile.com>
To: nmrg@irtf.org, "'Diego R. Lopez'" <diego.r.lopez@telefonica.com>, 'Christopher Janz' <christopher.janz=40huawei.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, 'Jürgen Schönwälder' <jschoenwaelder@constructor.university>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 21:04:12 +0800
Subject: Re: [nmrg] network digital twin vs. digital twin network

Hi All,

As Diego mentioned, we have discussed this topic some time ago. I remembered
that the conclusion was to remove acronym ‘DTN’ to avoid conflict with
‘Delay/Disruption Tolerant Networking’ (a working group of IETF).  However,
we didn’t decide to change the term of ‘digital twin network’.

As one of the coauthors, I am open on both names. However, I still prefer to
use ‘digital twin network’ with below concerns.

1)      Network is the target filed to implement Digital Twin technology.
As DT used in other industrial fields, similar terms  ‘DTxx ‘ are being
used, such as ‘digital twin city’, ‘digital twin manufacturing’, ‘digital
twin factory’, ‘digital twin energy’, etc. The terms are with same meaning
as ‘DT for xxx’. And in definition of current draft, we also pointed that
‘digital twin network’ is also called digital twin for networks.’

Digital twin network: a digital twin that is used in the context of
networking. This is also called, digital twin for networks.

2)      If not considering the acronym confliction, DTN can be a better
acronym for a relatively systematic networking technology, such as SDN, CDN,
IBN, TSN, etc.

3)      In academy, both NDT and DTN can be seen. And, the there seems a bit
more papers using of ‘DTN/digital twin network’ or the extensions, such as
‘digital twin edge network’, ‘digital twin optical network’, ‘digital twin
5G network’, etc. And from extension perspective, DTN seems more easily to
be extended to specific network domains, with terms of DTxN.

4)      In some other SDOs such as ITU-T, 3GPP, the term of ‘Digital twin
network’ is being used.

Regarding the difference between ‘digital twin network’ and ‘network digital
twin’ in this draft,  DTN can be the whole interactive virtual-real mapping
system, building with the DT concept or techniques; and NDT can be the
twinning entity of the physical network, focusing on data and models in
digital twin layer. Hope this can help remove the confusion.

More comments are welcome.

Thank and Best Regards,

Cheng Zhou