Re: ietf-nntp Feedback on the 9/3 nntpext.

Brian Kantor <brian@karoshi.ucsd.edu> Thu, 04 September 1997 22:40 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 15:39:52 -0700
From: Brian Kantor <brian@karoshi.ucsd.edu>
To: ietf-nntp@academ.com
Subject: Re: ietf-nntp Feedback on the 9/3 nntpext.
Sender: owner-ietf-nntp@academ.com

I don't believe a minimum timeout is required nor needs to be specified.
Timing out client connections is a management decision made by server
managers, based on their perception of need in their environment.

Clients which hold a connection open by sending 'NOOP' or other techniques
in the absence of real transactions would appear to be doing so solely
to circumvent the server manager's desire to time out idle clients.

In my local version of nnrpd, I treat NOOP as QUIT.
	- Brian