Re: Requirements for a network printing environment (long?)

lumm@spot.cc.lehigh.edu Fri, 24 July 1992 19:07 UTC

From: lumm@spot.cc.lehigh.edu
Subject: Re: Requirements for a network printing environment (long?)
To: Brad Clements <bkc@murkworks.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1992 14:06:28 -0400
Cc: print-wg@pa.dec.com

> So, for as much as I think the `big plan' sounds good, I'd like to see everyone
> keep the above comments in mind when proposing or designing a spec that will
> hopefully solve all our problems (and make you famous to boot).
>
> These are my comments, what are yours?
>
> -brad

Brad,

We here at Lehigh also have a simple "SMTP like protocol" for printing
that we have been using for the years.

Interestingly, it was initially viewed as a interim thing to hold us
over until a standard was deleveloped, but...

Here's a blurb on it, we have versions for Unix, VMS, VM, DOS, and
NOS/VE.

Available from ftp.Lehigh.EDU.

Simple, but expandable.  Perhaps not the best solution for a complete
standard, but it is simple enough for small machines.

mark

-----

     SQTP is used at Lehigh University for transfering I/O files between
heterogeneous operating systems.  SQTP consists of servers for NOS/VE, VM, VMS
and Unix, and clients for these operating systems as well.

     The U*X clients are externalized as commands OP and OQ for printing output
files and viewing the output queues, and IP and IQ for submitting input jobs to
remote machines and getting the output back and viewing the input queue.

     To install SQTP/Unix, read the makefile.

Mark Miller
Network Analyst                           lumm@Lehigh.EDU
Lehigh University Computing Center        lumm@spot.CC.Lehigh.EDU
Bethlehem, PA 18015