Re: [Nsaas] : A ore accurate name....

Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com> Mon, 15 September 2014 19:01 UTC

From: Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>
To: Myo Zarny <myo.zarny@gmail.com>, "brford@cisco.com" <brford@cisco.com>, "nsaas@ietf.org" <nsaas@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:51:16 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.212.244.119]
Cc: "Zarny, Myo" <Myo.Zarny@gs.com>
Subject: Re: [Nsaas] : A ore accurate name....

Agree with Myo that prioritization/scoping of NSaaS will be crucial.
IMHO, standard Interface to Virtual Network Security Functions (I2NSF, or I2VNSF)  is a tool to enable NSaaS.  NSaaS might have broader scope, which might touch upon services model, SLA, etc.

IETF has traditionally been good in building tools, instead of broad service model (not to say that IETF can’t do it).

Another important point, strictly speaking, API is normally referring to function calls among different functions on one system, what we want to achieve is the interface between separate entities (boxes), as what I2RS is doing.

Therefore,  “Programmatic interfaces” might be more accurate.

Any thoughts?

Linda