RE: [NSIS] AD review: draft-ietf-nsis-ntlp-09

<john.loughney@nokia.com> Fri, 02 June 2006 12:14 UTC

Subject: RE: [NSIS] AD review: draft-ietf-nsis-ntlp-09
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 15:14:23 +0300
From: john.loughney@nokia.com
To: robert.hancock@roke.co.uk, magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com, nsis@ietf.org

Hi all,
>> M2. Security functions for d-mode
>>
>> When reading the security consideration and the specification on
>> security properties I get a bit frightened that there are no
>> authentication mechanism specified for d-mode. It seems that there
>> should be need for authentication of d-mode queries etc to
>ensure that
>> the a NSIS node is talking to someone that really has the right to
>> perform the query and association creation.
>
>This is an important question. Some high level analysis:
>*) d-mode basically has two functions:
>- to set up routing state
>- to set up messaging associations
>
>Authentication/authorisation of the 'right' to set up the MAs
>is actually handled within the MA protocols themselves (if you
>use TLS or whatever). This can use traditional cryptographic
>security techniques. So there should be no d-mode security issue here.
>
>Authentication/authorisation of the 'right' to set up routing
>state is a more tricky. The point is that there is no
>framework within which the correctness of routing state can be
>secured in the traditional sense. Whether or not a node is on
>the route of a flow is a dynamic function of the forwarding
>tables in the network as a whole; two nodes could authenticate
>with each other all that they want to, but this would tell us
>nothing about whether the routing state itself was correct,
>since that can only be done by interaction with the forwarding
>layer. A further point is that at the start of the d-mode
>exchange, you can no idea which peer you are going to be
>communicating with, so at least some unauthenticated discovery
>phase would be needed anyway.
>The GIST design is supposed to restrict the scope of d-mode to
>this initial phase, and move over directly to c-mode as soon
>as it is meaningful to do so.
>
>Section 8.3 is supposed to be about the sort of 'non-cryptographic'
>authentication which can/must be done in these circumstances.

I agree with Robert's analysis here.  Magnus, do you feel that anything
should
be added to the Security Considerations (that is not already there)
on this issue?

>> Not having such a mechanism
>> seems to prevent building a system where the domains edge nodes
>> handles the primary security and the internal nodes only accept GIST
>> messages that are authenticated by nodes belonging to the domain.
>
>I don't understand the problem here. There is nothing to stop
>a domain being deployed with the security model you indicate; for
>example:
>- a host initiates the GIST handshake with the appropriate
>edge node, sets up routing state and a messaging association
>- the edge node authenticates the host as part of the MA setup
>and decides what the host is allowed to do
>- the host initiates some signalling application transaction
>- if the edge node decides the signalling transaction is
>valid, it continues to execute the transaction on the domain
>interior nodes (GIST handshake for route discovery followed by
>a signalling application exchange; typically the necessary MAs
>would already be in place).
>
>is this the sort of model you are thinking about?

Agreed - this is a sort of a deployment considerations topic, depending
upon what kind of network you are looking at.  I'm not sure if this
would
go into a base spec, but maybe a deployment guide, BCP or applicability
statement, IMO.

>> Section 8.6: I also am concerned that if there exist no secured MA
>> between two GIST nodes, a on-path Man in the middle can prevent there

>> from ever existing a secured MA.
>
>This is not what 8.6 is aiming at. Modulo the residual threat
>in 8.7, 8.6 is saying that
>- IF you have a suitable security policy and credentials at
>each node (and 8.6 explains what 'suitable' means)
>- THEN the only things that an on-path MitM can do are
>(a) prevent all communication
>(b) allow a properly secured MA which it cannot intercept The
>MitM cannot do
>(c) allow an insecure MA which it can intercept

Robert, I'm not sure if I can exactly parse (b), though I get your
point ...

>(a) is not something that any security solution can prevent:
>an on-path MitM can always just block traffic. (b) is the
>desired outcome anyway.
>What is ruled out is (c), which is a consequence of the MitM
>detection mechanism in the Confirm and the security policy
>which says what to do if the MitM is detected. (Basically, any
>attempt to set up an insecure MA is automatically detected as
>an MitM attack.)

Again, I agree with Robert's analsys here - do we need any additional
text?

John