Re: [Ntp] NTPv5 draft

Philip Prindeville <philipp@redfish-solutions.com> Tue, 01 December 2020 00:13 UTC

From: Philip Prindeville <philipp@redfish-solutions.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 17:13:39 -0700
Cc: Dieter Sibold <dsibold.ietf@gmail.com>, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com>, "ntp@ietf.org" <ntp@ietf.org>
To: Doug Arnold <doug.arnold@meinberg-usa.com>
Subject: Re: [Ntp] NTPv5 draft

Disagree.

Too many vulnerability exploits have their genesis in things being used in unexpected ways.

I could trick a golf course watering system to stop watering, increase the flammability of the vegetation, and then use it to start an urban wildfire.

I’m okay with using extensions as long as some of them are marked mandatory, or their replacements.

Sorry for the drive-by comments… I know I haven’t been very involved…