Re: [Ntp] Follow-up to yesterday's mic comment about PTP security

kristof.teichel@ptb.de Wed, 24 July 2019 07:00 UTC

To: Daniel Franke <dfoxfranke@gmail.com>
Cc: NTP WG <ntp@ietf.org>
From: kristof.teichel@ptb.de
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 09:00:54 +0200
Subject: Re: [Ntp] Follow-up to yesterday's mic comment about PTP security

Hey all,

first of all, I'm really glad if this whole thing (security of one-way
mechanisms and mechanism selection) is a discussion that we're going to
have in the WG.

To comment on your assertions, Daniel:

1.
It is established in general (and I have a proof lying around for a model
of NTS in particular) that a client performing a request-response exchange
with NTS and using all relevant checks gets a strong guarantee that the
error in its measured offset is no larger than half the added flight times
of the packets (plus some negligibly small delta accounting for frequency
instability of the clocks used on client and server side).
For anyone wondering why we bothered to prove this again: this guarantee
is 100%, and the new part is "no matter what a Man-in-the-Middle attacker
did in the process".
So I would be careful about naming a specific amount, because flight times
do depend on the specific client's connection - but 50ms seems like a good
rule of thumb, and I overall agree with your assertion.

2.-3.
If we're operating und the assumptions that
a) you can only use one time sync mechanism at a time and keep track of
one clock disciplined via data from that mechansim, and
b) end users always have exactly one requirement level for each of
security and precision/accuracy and need to use the least-effort path to
achieve them
... then I agree with your assertions whole-heartedly.

But I really think both assumptions deserve their own hard looks and
considerations.
For example, it might be reasonable for someone, specifically a financial
institute, to run NTP with NTS in their local network to obtain a 100%
security guarantee for a 100us level (demanded by MiFID II for example)
and also still use PTP / White Rabbit (unsecured for the time being) to
have the precision/accuracy levels they actually want - with no strong
guarantee, but still valid in the (most likely) case that their
infrastructures are not currently under attack.

4.
Again, I agree with the assertion for the most part and in the given
status quo.
But the underlying assumption that every relevant adversarial 2-way
network also suffers from long, unpredictable and asymmetric travel times
is mostly valid because the only candidate for such a network is the
internet.
If someone built, say, a GNSS network where two-way communication (with
satellites or between two ground stations) was readily available to
everyone, the whole situation would be different:
That would still potentially qualify as an adversarial network, but with
the proper crypto, your 100% security guarantees could be extended to much
better precision/accuracy levels.
The same thing could be true for long-distance tree-topology fibre-based
networks exclusively for time synchronization - which are kind of in the
process of being built all over Europe.

Lengthy comments and caveats notwithstanding, I agree with and would
endorse your 1.-4. decision making sheet as an excellent starting point.

Best regards,
Kristof

"ntp" <ntp-bounces@ietf.org> schrieb am 23.07.2019 18:19:33:

> Von: "Daniel Franke" <dfoxfranke@gmail.com>
> An: "NTP WG" <ntp@ietf.org>
> Datum: 23.07.2019 18:20
> Betreff: [Ntp] Follow-up to yesterday's mic comment about PTP security
> Gesendet von: "ntp" <ntp-bounces@ietf.org>
>
> My comments yesterday about PTP security shifted context a few times
> so it may have been hard to follow what I was claiming. My assertions
> were:
>
> 1. If you need 50ms precision, pick some good public NTP servers and use
NTS.