Re: [Ntp] Antw: [EXT] Re: Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds-09: (with COMMENT)

Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de> Tue, 25 August 2020 05:51 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 07:51:35 +0200
From: Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
To: evyncke=40cisco.com@dmarc.ietf.org, brian@innovationslab.net, stenn@nwtime.org
Cc: draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "ntp@ietf.org" <ntp@ietf.org>, "ntp-chairs@ietf.org" <ntp-chairs@ietf.org>, odonoghue@isoc.org
Subject: Re: [Ntp] Antw: [EXT] Re: Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds-09: (with COMMENT)

>>> Brian Haberman <brian@innovationslab.net> schrieb am 24.08.2020 um 17:25
in
Nachricht <44bd33ec-c51e-d654-a1ec-c2a07ab68262@innovationslab.net>:
> Hi Ulrich,

>> 24.08.2020 um 15:27 in Nachricht
>> <4BA835C5-DC32-433D-B89E-0A3009486F5F@cisco.com>:
>>> Any order is important because the text says "Read ordered list (11):",
>> hence
>>> my expectation that the list is ordered
>>
>> While thinking on it: Actually any list is ordered (as opposed to a set):
>> There is a first element, and a next element until you reached the last
one.
>> However inside the list the items could be "sorted" to some criteria. This

> is
>> what we are talking about, right? ;-)
>>

> I have interpreted Éric's query as to what key is used to order the
> list. I have spent the past few hours thinking about this and I am
> wondering if there is a need for the list to be ordered at all. As long
> as the requisite information is indexed by the interface identifier
> (i.e., IP address), I can't discern a reason to order the list.

Hi!

Well, actually there is one: Many mode-6 commands provide "output ready"
to reformat (here: sort) the results for output. ("rl" output would be one
example)
Actually I think it was a poor design decision to return "output ready" data
as response, because if you want to analyze the data (filtering, sorting,
line-wrapping, etc.) it's more difficult.  Also some responses are still binary
format, needing post-processing before output. It's not very consistent...

Regards,
Ulrich