[Ntp] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds-09: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Fri, 21 August 2020 14:32 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds@ietf.org, ntp-chairs@ietf.org, ntp@ietf.org, Karen O'Donoghue <odonoghue@isoc.org>, odonoghue@isoc.org
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 07:32:53 -0700
Subject: [Ntp] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds-09: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds-09: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds/

COMMENT:

Thank you for the work put into this document.

First, I must admit that this is the first time I see an IETF stream
informational document for the specification of a control protocol used by an
obsoleted RFC 1305. This document is much easier to read than the appendix B of
RFC 1305 and the author takes care to write that this spec is not mandatory to
implement but I really wonder why this document exists ?

Moreover the abstract says "The goal of this document is to provide a current,
but historic, " so why not publishing this document as 'historic' rather than
'informal' (datatracker seems to allow this modification).

Please find below a couple of non-blocking COMMENTs (and I would appreciate a
reply to each of my COMMENTs) and some NITs.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== COMMENTS ==

-- Section 1.1 --
Suggest to replace 'IP' by 'IPv4' in 'IP hosts are not required to reassemble
datagrams larger than 576' + add some text that this document applies the same
limitation to IPv6.

-- Section 2 --
Possibly linked to my lack of understanding of the purpose of this document,
but, if applicable only to NTPv3, then should the Version number clearly
specified to be 3 ?

-- Section 3.2 --
Suggest to add 'bit' after 'Peer Status' in the table headings to make it clear.

-- Section 4 --
It will probably be useful to expand 'MRU' at first use.

In the "Read ordered list (11):" it is not clear how the entries are ordered in
the case of "ifstats" is it per local address ? Are IPv4 addresses before IPv6
addresses ?

-- Appendix A --
Is there a reason why the mode 7 is in the appendix and not in the main body ?

== NITS ==

-- Section 2 --
s/Conains/Contains/

-- Section 4 --
Should there be a comma in 'seven characters "ifstats" the associated' before
'the associated' ?