[Ntp] Antw: [EXT] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-ntp-chronos-01.txt

Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de> Thu, 03 September 2020 09:31 UTC

Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 11:31:37 +0200
From: Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
To: neta.r.schiff@gmail.com, "ntp@ietf.org" <ntp@ietf.org>
Subject: [Ntp] Antw: [EXT] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-ntp-chronos-01.txt

Hi!

A few random comments (on the HTML version):

Table 1: The "Meaning" column should not be centered. The descriptions for "Err" and "K" are very short (compared to the rest).

On "3": Instead of referring just to "Sections 10 and 11" the title of the sections could at least be mentioned. I guess nobody known by heart what these sections are about without openeing the RFC first...

On "3.1" Maybe explain what the outcome is, compared to that happening in NTP usually. More trustworthy error estimate? What can affect the result in a negative way?

On "3.2": "the third lowest-value samples": It reads like one sample (the thrid-lowest) is removed; did you mean you remove the lowest third of the samples? You use "2w" without explaining how w is determined.

All together section 3 is very abstact, and maybe could use some example numbers for illustration.

Section 4: Waht's the value of "K"? On "S": How is a sample oth tens servers stored in a single variable? Likewise "T".

It seems S and T are arrays. Maybe add a data type for variables, even for pseudo-code.

In summary, the draft reads very much like an "idea" (like the typical American patent request), but not at all like a specification.

Regards,
Ulrich Windl