Re: [Ntp] Follow-up to yesterday's mic comment about PTP security

kristof.teichel@ptb.de Thu, 25 July 2019 07:13 UTC

To: Doug Arnold <doug.arnold@meinberg.de>
Cc: Daniel Franke <dfoxfranke@gmail.com>, NTP WG <ntp@ietf.org>
From: kristof.teichel@ptb.de
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 09:14:19 +0200
Subject: Re: [Ntp] Follow-up to yesterday's mic comment about PTP security

Good morning all,

what you will really need from these folks, Doug, is a clear statement of
whether they need their level of synchronicity (50ms, 100us, whatever)
only locally between all their machines or also in reference to a global
time scale such as UTC.
And maybe if they need different precision/accuracy levels for both, such
as needing/wanting sub-ns level locally and a 100% guaranteed 100us within
UTC or something like that (I suspect something like this will turn out to
be true for most of them).

Using PTP to make sure that all of their devices agree on the time to a
better-than-100us level is fine, but if they need actual guarantees with
regard to UTC, it might be short-sighted to just go "well, our server is
GPS-disciplined, so basically as good as UTC".

Best regards,
Kristof