Re: [Ntp] A simpler way to secure PTP

"Langer, Martin" <mart.langer@ostfalia.de> Mon, 10 May 2021 16:50 UTC

From: "Langer, Martin" <mart.langer@ostfalia.de>
To: Doug Arnold <doug.arnold=40meinberg-usa.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, Daniel Franke <dfoxfranke@gmail.com>
CC: Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com>, NTP WG <ntp@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 16:49:54 +0000
x-originating-ip: [141.41.8.54]
Subject: Re: [Ntp] A simpler way to secure PTP

"NTS4PTP could help against malicious agents which have gained access to the network and start sending bogus PTP messages, for example impersonating the Grandmaster. "

I had the same thought. Simply hang a small device on the PTP network, which pretends to be the best clock via Announce messages.
The BMCA does the rest and adjusts the topology. After that I can roughly fluctuate between about +/- RTT/2 before an NTS/NTP watchdog
intervenes. Thus, the accuracy of the PTP network can be easily decreased. I would imagine that delay attacks can be detected quite well in PTP
networks, since links between PTP nodes typically don't change.  ...Especially since it is a local network. An unauthenticated PTP node that can
freely adjust the time within a certain range, even if it is only 1-2 milliseconds, seems more dangerous in my eyes.

Nevertheless, NTS-secured NTP is a good monitoring solution.

best regards,
martin

-------------------
Martin Langer, M.Eng.
Ostfalia Hochschule für angewandte Wissenschaften
- Hochschule Braunschweig/Wolfenbüttel
University of Applied Sciences

Labor Datentechnik, Labor Design Digitaler Systeme
Fakultät Elektrotechnik
Salzdahlumer Straße 46/48
38302 Wolfenbüttel
Germany