Re: [Ntp] NTS pool support

"Patrik Fältström " <paf@frobbit.se> Mon, 22 July 2019 07:07 UTC

From: Patrik Fältström <paf@frobbit.se>
To: Ask Bjørn Hansen <ask@develooper.com>
Cc: Hal Murray <hmurray@megapathdsl.net>, Christer Weinigel <christer@weinigel.se>, ntp@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 09:07:46 +0200
Subject: Re: [Ntp] NTS pool support

On 22 Jul 2019, at 8:25, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

>> On Jul 21, 2019, at 3:15 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray@megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Here's my naive suggestion on how to handle NTS pools.
>>
>> I think you have to be very careful about what you mean by "pool".  In most
>> NTP discussions, "the pool" usually means pool.ntp.org, a large collection of
>> NTP servers run by volunteers.  Trust and secure don't make sense with that
>> type of operation.  There is no point in using NTS.
>
> I don’t think that’s true. Implemented right a client could know for sure who it’s talking to.

I must think quite a bit on this proposal, and I completely trust you guys doing NTS right, BUT, my view is:

1. Keep the pool-mechanisms as separate from "NTS-server" mechanisms -- i.e. I am always nervous of feature creep in protocols.

2. We must trust the DNS anyways, and whether one sign and/or validate DNS is a question orthogonal to this discussion. The use of DNSSEC is today *strongly* encouraged, and if you choose to still not do it, you are to some degree toast. But that is a choice.

3. We can not design NTS to be robust if people have chosen other insecure things regarding their environment. There must be a known context within which we design the NTS (and NTS-pool) related issues. We can for example not solve routing problems, and we can not solve DNS security issues, or issues with fake SSIDs (evil hot spots), fake bootp or neighbor discovery messages, or other things.

4. What we *can* do is to make a robust protocol that to some degree for example withstand MITM attacks, but, to get complete protection one must do validation of DNSSEC signed responses, one must have RPKI "strict" for the IP addresses, one must... etc, and that list which is "basic" for todays Internet start to be quite long :-) NTS should fit in that echo system so that other people say "you should use NTS (+roughtime for bootstrap) or else..." i.e. I do not want DNS or HTTP or BGP people start to expand their protocols "just because people might only use NTP and not NTS because NTS is so hard". ;-)

Given that context, on a quick read, I sort of like the below, but think we can do slightly better IF we rely on DNS a bit more. I.e. we can do something that is easy for everyone, and get a good pool structure, and then we say "if the zone is signed, and validation takes place, THEN the whole thing is...".

But I must think a bit more.

   Patrik