Re: [ntpwg] [TICTOC] WGLC on draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer-01.txt (Was: WGLC on draft-mizrahi-ntp-checksum-trailer-02.txt)

"Anil Kumar S N (VRP Network BL)" <anil.sn@huawei.com> Wed, 01 July 2015 14:55 UTC

From: "Anil Kumar S N (VRP Network BL)" <anil.sn@huawei.com>
To: "Anil Kumar S N (VRP Network BL)" <anil.sn@huawei.com>, "mayer@ntp.org" <mayer@ntp.org>, Anil Kumar <anil.ietf@gmail.com>, Tal Mizrahi <talmi@marvell.com>, Karen O'Donoghue <odonoghue@isoc.org>, "ntpwg@lists.ntp.org" <ntpwg@lists.ntp.org>, "tictoc@ietf.org" <tictoc@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 14:54:52 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.18.212.150]
Subject: Re: [ntpwg] [TICTOC] WGLC on draft-ietf-ntp-checksum-trailer-01.txt (Was: WGLC on draft-mizrahi-ntp-checksum-trailer-02.txt)
Sender: ntpwg <ntpwg-bounces+ntp-archives-ahfae6za=lists.ietf.org@lists.ntp.org>

Backward compatibility analysis for M-BIT in Extension field types.

IANA alloctes new Extension field value :
0x800a for More Bit and 0x000a without more bit for new extension

NTPv4 Server (Autokey)		NTPv4 client(Autokey + New Extension)

Case 1:
Process the packet	<----	NTP Header + Autokey Extension [0x0102]
Steps :
a) Check NTP packet size is more than NTP Header size
b) Check packet size without header which is more than NTP MAC size
c) Check field type if matching as whole with Autokey filed types
d) Now parse NTP filed type as per autokey

Case 2:
Process the packet	<----	NTP Header + New Extension [0x000a]
Steps :
a) Check NTP packet size is more than NTP Header size
b) Check packet size without header which is more than NTP MAC size
c) Check field type if matching as whole with Autokey filed types
d) Now parse NTP filed type More Bit (No more bit)
e) after excluding NTP header + NTP extension
	if size is more than 0
	then if check remaining size is more than MAC size then drop the packet
f) Process new extension as per new extension RFC

Case 3:
Process the packet	<----	NTP Header + Autokey Extension [0x0102] + New Extension [0x000a]
Steps :
a) Check NTP packet size is more than NTP Header size
b) Check packet size without header which is more than NTP MAC size
c) Check field type if matching as whole with Autokey filed types
d) Now parse NTP filed type as per Autokey
e) Check packet size without header and Autokey extension which is more than NTP MAC size
f) Check field type if matching as whole with Autokey filed types
g) Now parse NTP filed type More Bit (No more bit)
h) after excluding NTP header + Autokey Extension + NTP extension
	if size is more than 0
	then if check remaining size is more than MAC size then drop the packet
i) Process new extension as per new extension RFC

Case 4:
Process the packet	<----	NTP Header + Autokey Extension [0x0102] + New Extension [0x000a] + MAC
Steps :
a) Check NTP packet size is more than NTP Header size
b) Check packet size without header which is more than NTP MAC size
c) Check field type if matching as whole with Autokey filed types
d) Now parse NTP filed type as per Autokey
e) Check packet size without header and Autokey extension which is more than NTP MAC size
f) Check field type if matching as whole with Autokey filed types
g) Now parse NTP filed type More Bit (No more bit)
h) after excluding NTP header + Autokey Extension + NTP extension
	if size is more than 0
	then if check remaining size is more than MAC size then drop the packet
i) Process new extension as per new extension RFC
j) Process MAC (This is done at the beginning to authenticate packet)

Case 5:
Process the packet	<----	NTP Header + Autokey Extension [0x0102] + New Extension 1 [0x800a] + New Extension 2  [0x000b]
Steps :
a) Check NTP packet size is more than NTP Header size
b) Check packet size without header which is more than NTP MAC size
c) Check field type if matching as whole with Autokey filed types
d) Now parse NTP filed type as per Autokey
e) Check packet size without header and Autokey extension which is more than NTP MAC size
f) Check field type if matching as whole with Autokey filed types
g) Now parse NTP filed type More Bit (More bit)
h) Process new extension as per new extension 1 RFC
i) Now parse NTP filed type More Bit (No More bit)
j) Process new extension as per new extension 2 RFC
k) after excluding NTP header + Autokey Extension + NTP extension 1 + NTP extension 2
	if size is more than 0
	then if check remaining size is more than MAC size then drop the packet

Case 6:
Process the packet	<----	NTP Header + Autokey Extension [0x0102] + New Extension 1 [0x800a] + New Extension 2  [0x000b] + MAC
Steps :
a) Check NTP packet size is more than NTP Header size
b) Check packet size without header which is more than NTP MAC size
c) Check field type if matching as whole with Autokey filed types
d) Now parse NTP filed type as per autokey
e) Check packet size without header and autokey extension which is more than NTP MAC size
f) Check field type if matching as whole with Autokey filed types
g) Now parse NTP filed type More Bit (More bit)
h) Process new extension as per new extension 1 RFC
i) Now parse NTP filed type More Bit (No More bit)
j) Process new extension as per new extension 2 RFC
k) after excluding NTP header + Autokey Extension + NTP extension 1 + NTP extension 2
	if size is more than 0
	then if check remaining size is more than MAC size then drop the packet
l) Process MAC (This is done at the beginning to authenticate packet)

As per Current IANA
https://www.iana.org/assignments/ntp-parameters/ntp-parameters.xhtml
NTP Extension Field Types
0x0002	No-Operation Request
0x8002	No-Operation Response
0xC002	No-Operation Error Response
0x0102	Association Message Request
0x8102	Association Message Response
0xC102	Association Message Error Response
0x0202	Certificate Message Request
0x8202	Certificate Message Response
0xC202	Certificate Message Error Response
0x0302	Cookie Message Request
0x8302	Cookie Message Response
0xC302	Cookie Message Error Response
0x0402	Autokey Message Request
0x8402	Autokey Message Response
0xC402	Autokey Message Error Response
0x0502	Leapseconds Message Request
0x8502	Leapseconds Message Response
0xC502	Leapseconds Message Error Response
0x0602	Sign Message Request
0x8602	Sign Message Response
0xC602	Sign Message Error Response
0x0702	IFF Identity Message Request
0x8702	IFF Identity Message Response
0xC702	IFF Identity Message Error Response
0x0802	GQ Identity Message Request
0x8802	GQ Identity Message Response
0xC802	GQ Identity Message Error Response
0x0902	MV Identity Message Request
0x8902	MV Identity Message Response
0xC902	MV Identity Message Error Response

Thanks & Regards
Anil S N

"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send" - Jon Postel