Re: [Ntp] New rev of the NTP port randomization I-D (Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gont-ntp-port-randomization-01.txt)

Danny Mayer <mayer@ntp.org> Tue, 28 May 2019 19:41 UTC

To: ntp@ietf.org
From: Danny Mayer <mayer@ntp.org>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 15:41:08 -0400
Subject: Re: [Ntp] New rev of the NTP port randomization I-D (Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gont-ntp-port-randomization-01.txt)

I'm formally objecting to adopting this draft since it accomplishes
nothing. RFC5905 specifically states in Section 8 paragraph 5 that the
origin timestamp should be checked with what was sent from the NTP
Client: "A packet is bogus if the origin timestamp t1 in the packet does
not match the xmt state variable T1. "

The origin timestamp is a 64-bit quantity that must be returned by the
server that is providing timestamps for the NTP Client to process. An
offpath attacker would have a hard time guessing even the correct number
of seconds never mind the other 32 bits of the timestamp. Randomizing
the port number adds another 16 bits which is overkill when you cannot
even guess the first 64 bits.

Furthermore you should try and have more than one source which would add
a minimum of another 64 bits of nonce.

While we are at it the CERT specified in the draft is similarly invalid
because of the above.

Danny