Subject: Re: [Ntp] Smearing

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 17:53:54 +0100

Danny Mayer <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> You've just outlined the ones we know about. A client may want to follow one
> or the other or none. That's a policy decision so let the client make it.
> That's why embedding a smearing ID in the packet makes sense.

Yes, I understand that :-) but I think that having more than one kind of
smearing is a bad idea (even one kind of smearing is arguably too many...)
so maybe it would be slightly better to standardize only the consensus
least bad version of leap smear.

Tony.
-- 
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  https://dotat.at/
Fitzroy, Sole: Southwesterly 4 to 6, veering westerly or northwesterly
6 to gale 8, occasionally severe gale 9 later except in south Fitzroy.
Moderate or rough becoming rough or very rough, then high later in
north Fitzroy. Rain or thundery showers. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor.