Re: [Ntp] Calls for Adoption -- NTP Extension Field drafts -- Four separate drafts

kristof.teichel@ptb.de Fri, 30 August 2019 12:33 UTC

To: NTP WG <ntp@ietf.org>
From: kristof.teichel@ptb.de
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 14:34:43 +0200
Subject: Re: [Ntp] Calls for Adoption -- NTP Extension Field drafts -- Four separate drafts

Hello all,

I also oppose adoption of the four draft as documents intended for use
with NTPv4.

I broadly agree with Heiko's assessment insofar as I think most of the
individual content in the four drafts is relevant, but should be treated
in a different context:
not as an attempt to repair the holes that are opening up in NTPv4, but as
a set of principles going into the next revision of NTP ("NTPv5", likely).

Best regards,
Kristof

P.S.:

This is especially drastic for the I-DO proposal, where I do not see how
it makes sense to try to catch implementation that are too old to
understand certain newer EFs by forcing them to understand another new EF
with which they can talk about which EFs they do understand.
It does seem important to do something akin to this, but I really think it
only makes sense if you can assume ALL implementations to a) understand
the I-DO-inspired EF and b) be able to use crypto methods to provide
authentication for whatever is in the I-DO-inspired EF.

Semi-related, I really believe NTPv5 should enable behavior that splits
messages (especially server responses) into two parts, the first as small
as possible, basically only an identifier saying that it is an NTP packet
and providing an ID for the association/exchange it belongs to, the second
carrying all the timestamps and meta information.
This would enable an almost completely free choice of information that a
client could request, each piece of it in its own extension field, without
it endangering speed or accuracy.
But it is another feature you can only have if you can expect all
participants to understand it.