Re: [nvo3] [Int-area] [ippm] encapsulation of IOAM data in various protocols - follow up from WG discussion in London

" 徐小虎(义先) " <xiaohu.xxh@alibaba-inc.com> Fri, 13 April 2018 07:42 UTC

Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 15:42:23 +0800
From: "徐小虎(义先)" <xiaohu.xxh@alibaba-inc.com>
To: Int-area <int-area-bounces@ietf.org>, "Frank Brockners (fbrockne)" <fbrockne@cisco.com>
Cc: NVO3 <nvo3@ietf.org>, int-area <int-area@ietf.org>, Service Function Chaining IETF list <sfc@ietf.org>, IETF IPPM WG <ippm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [nvo3] [Int-area] [ippm] encapsulation of IOAM data in various protocols - follow up from WG discussion in London

Hi,
It said in draft-brockners-ippm-ioam-vxlan-gpe-00:
"   [I-D.ietf-nvo3-vxlan-gpe] defines an "O bit" for OAM packets.  Per
   [I-D.ietf-nvo3-vxlan-gpe] the O bit indicates that the packet
   contains an OAM message instead of data payload.  Packets that carry
   IOAM data fields in addition to regular data payload / customer
   traffic must not set the O bit.  Packets that carry only IOAM data
   fields without any payload must set the O bit."
My first question is: if the Next Protocol field within the VXLAN-GPE header should be resorted to indicate the IOAM, why do we still need the "O" bit?
It said in draft-brockners-ippm-ioam-vxlan-gpe-00:
"Next Protocol:  8-bit unsigned integer that determines the type of
      header following IOAM protocol.  The value is from the IANA             registry setup for VXLAN GPE Next Protocol defined in
      [I-D.ietf-nvo3-vxlan-gpe]."
My second question is: why the "Next Protocol" is designed to be context-specific (i.e., specific to the tunnel over which the IOAM data fields are contained). In other words, wouldn't it be better to make the Next Protocol tunnel-independant since the IOAM is intended to be added into various tunnel encapsulations?

My third question is: does it means intermediate nodes must be aware of various tunnel encapsulations since the IOAM data field is behind the tunnel header? wouldn't it be better to carry the IOAM data just behind the outer IP header?
Best regards,Xiaohu