Re: [nvo3] Draft NVO3 WG Charter

Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com> Tue, 21 February 2012 01:36 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 01:35:47 +0000
From: Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com>
To: "david.black@emc.com" <david.black@emc.com>, "yakov@juniper.net" <yakov@juniper.net>
Cc: "narten@us.ibm.com" <narten@us.ibm.com>, "jdrake@juniper.net" <jdrake@juniper.net>, "rbonica@juniper.net" <rbonica@juniper.net>, "nvo3@ietf.org" <nvo3@ietf.org>, "afarrel@juniper.net" <afarrel@juniper.net>, "nitinb@juniper.net" <nitinb@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [nvo3] Draft NVO3 WG Charter

Hi David,

Compared to the encapsulation format proposed by either existing NVo3 proposal (e.g., VXLAN), MPLS (i.e., MPLS in GRE) should be deemed as an existing data plane, rather than a new data plane, especially when you consider to deploy the encap/decap funcations on physical switches/routers.

> 	- Introduce new control plane: BGP

Using MPLS in GRE on the data plane doesn't mean we must use BGP on the control plane. Take VPLS as an example, if you believe BGP is not scalable or a bit heavy-weight in the data center environment while MPLS in GRE is acceptable, we can attempt to just define a light-weight control plane, for example, extend IGP a bit to deliver VPLS.

> 	- Significant changes to management and operational practices

If you consider those cloud data centers which are operated by ISPs, you will come to an opposite conclusion since they have deployed and operated their MPLS/IP networks for many years.

> 	- New network admin skills required
> That's not the best incremental impact story.  The last one is particularly
> important.

The same as the above.

Best regards,
Xiaohu