Re: [nvo3] Draft NVO3 WG Charter

"Pat Thaler" <pthaler@broadcom.com> Wed, 29 February 2012 22:27 UTC

From: Pat Thaler <pthaler@broadcom.com>
To: Larry Kreeger <kreeger@cisco.com>, Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>, David Black <david.black@emc.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 22:26:37 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.240.250.14]
Cc: "narten@us.ibm.com" <narten@us.ibm.com>, "jdrake@juniper.net" <jdrake@juniper.net>, "rbonica@juniper.net" <rbonica@juniper.net>, "nvo3@ietf.org" <nvo3@ietf.org>, "afarrel@juniper.net" <afarrel@juniper.net>, "nitinb@juniper.net" <nitinb@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [nvo3] Draft NVO3 WG Charter

Larry,

The VSIID field can carry one thing that uniquely identifies the VSI but it isn't the only information in the TLV. Perhaps it would help to expand on the purpose of VDP and the information it carries to support that purpose. VDP assumes that there is some form of virtualization management system that holds profiles for Virtual Station Interfaces (VSI), i.e. the virtual network port of a virtual machine. Often a profile is created for the characteristics needed by a VM of a certain type and multiple VMs can use that profile. VDP is intended to carry enough information to identify the profile and the particular VM so that a bridge (or other network device connected to the end node) can use the information to get the profile and determine whether it can support the configuration for that VM.

A PDU for VDP carries TLVs. The first TLV in the PDU is a VSI manager TLV which can carry an IPv6 address for the manager holding the profiles for the rest of the TLVs in the PDU.

The rest of the TLVs are VDP association TLVs (and organizationally defined TLVs).

The VDP association TLV has a type which indicates pre-association (i.e. the VM isn't moving here now, but fetch the profile and see if it can be supported for later), associate and de-associate. It carries the following information

VSI Type ID: 3  octets; identifies a type of VSI - i.e. a profile which could apply to multiple VSI instances
VSI Type Version: 1 octet; allows for multiple versions of a type.
VSSIID: 16 octets; uniquely identifies the VSI by IP address, MAC address, UUID or locally defined format

Filter info: this is information that can be used to filter frames to identify the VSI. An 8-bit filter info format field identifies the format of the filter info field. 4 formats are defined in 802.1Qbg. All of the currently defined filter formats start with a number of entries field - the VSI might have more than one.

The formats currently defined are:
	VID (VLAN ID)
	MAC/VID
	GroupID/VID
	GroupID/MAC/VID

GroupID is 4 octets and is intended for cases where the network is too large for 12-bit VIDs to scale. For example, it can carry a 24-bit tenant ID appropriate to the network (e.g. PBB I-CID, NVGRE TNI, etc.). The station can put the null VID value in and the bridge can fill it in with a VID that it will map to the tenant ID. The mapping could be local to that physical port.

The currently defined format can carry the VMs MAC address(es) in addition to its IP address or UUID. If one wanted to get both a UUID and an IP address, currently it would have to come from the VM manager along with the profile, e.g. the bridge sends the Type ID and the UUID from the VDP to the virtualization manager and it sends back the profile and the IP address.  Another possibility is that IEEE 802.1 could define additional filter info formats in the future if there is a need.

There are two status bits in the VDP TLV that may be helpful for migration. The M-bit = 1 indicates that the VM is migrating to this port. The S-bit = 1 indicates that the VM is suspended.

Regards,
Pat