[nvo3] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve-14: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 04 December 2019 18:04 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve@ietf.org, Matthew Bocci <matthew.bocci@nokia.com>, nvo3-chairs@ietf.org, matthew.bocci@nokia.com, nvo3@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2019 10:04:01 -0800
Subject: [nvo3] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve-14: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve-14: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve/

DISCUSS:

Thank you for the work put into this document. It solves an interesting problem
and the document is easy to read.

I have one DISCUSS that is **trivial to fix** and some COMMENTs, feel free to
ignore my COMMENTs even if  I would appreciate your answers to those COMMENTs.

Regards,

-éric

== DISCUSS ==

-- Section 3.3 --
Please use RFC 8200 the 'new' IPv6 standard rather than RFC 2460 ;-)

COMMENT:

== COMMENTS ==

-- Generic --
Is it worth mentioning that when transporting an Ethernet frame neither the
preamble nor the inter-frame gap are included? (AFAIR, IEEE considers those
parts as integral part of the IEEE 802.3 frame)

Is a length of 24 bits for the VNI be enough?

-- Section 1 --
In the list of protocols, rather than presenting the current list as
comprehensive, I would suggest to clearly present this list as non-exhaustive.

Is it worth to mention the reasoning behind "one additional defining
requirement is the need to carry system state along with the packet data"
(beside common sense)

-- Section 4.4.1 --
It is unclear to me whether Geneve endpoints can fragment the Geneve
UDP-encapsulated packet itself as the transit routers see only unfragmentable
packets.