Re: [nwcrg] [iccrg] Disadvantages of TCP connection splitters

Kuhn Nicolas <Nicolas.Kuhn@cnes.fr> Mon, 13 January 2020 14:41 UTC

From: Kuhn Nicolas <Nicolas.Kuhn@cnes.fr>
To: 'Marie-Jose Montpetit' <marie@mjmontpetit.com>, Yuchung Cheng <ycheng@google.com>, Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>
CC: "nwcrg@irtf.org" <nwcrg@irtf.org>, iccrg IRTF list <iccrg@irtf.org>, Keith Winstein <keithw@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 14:40:01 +0000
Deferred-Delivery: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 14:41:01 +0000
x-tm-as-product-ver: SMEX-11.0.0.4255-8.100.1062-25164.007
x-tm-as-result: No--17.591700-0.000000-31
x-tm-as-user-approved-sender: Yes
x-tm-as-user-blocked-sender: No
Subject: Re: [nwcrg] [iccrg] Disadvantages of TCP connection splitters

Advantages :
TCP split have lots of performance advantage (getting up to speed, tuned congestion control, etc). They can divide by two the time needed to download a web page.
FYI, an open-source PEP for testing : https://wiki.net4sat.org/doku.php?id=pepsal:index

Issues:
                The issue with application layer PEP is that you have to split the encrypted communication – making it hard to deploy at large scale.
Transport layer PEP can be deployed for years in an operator infrastructure and may not follow the pace at which the Linux stack (and/or end points) is moving. It may not be relevant to keep the equipment in the network. That being said, PEP equipment can provide more than “just” TCP split (e.g. compression, QoS management, etc) and deactivating the split function can be tricky. I would say a practical issue is the flexibility of the operation of a PEP equipment in adjunction with end point evolutions. Another one would be their integration in complexed network architecture or constrained hardware components.

IMHO to make progress, we should induce more knowledge of the network underneath to end points so that adequate congestion control parameters can be applied.
There is an opportunity with QUIC here.

I hope this helps,
Cheers,

Nico