Re: [nwcrg] Symbol representation draft updated

Salvatore Signorello <ssignorello@ciencias.ulisboa.pt> Thu, 29 August 2019 11:18 UTC

To: nwcrg@irtf.org
From: Salvatore Signorello <ssignorello@ciencias.ulisboa.pt>
CC: janus@steinwurf.com
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 12:17:03 +0100
Subject: Re: [nwcrg] Symbol representation draft updated

Dear Heide and other authors,

thank you very much for working on the new draft. Follow some more
comments from my side. Apologies in advance if I miss something, still
this area is pretty new to me.

- /"Coding coefficient vector"/ (a) vs /"coding vector"/ (b). Both terms
are used interchangeably throughout both the RLNC-background and the
symbol-representation drafts. More precisely, in the background draft
(a) is used 6 times, while (b) only 4. In the symbol-representation
draft, (a) is used 19 times, while (b) only 7. I am sorry if this
re-opens a similar previous thread, but my feeling is still that
converging towards a single term (where possible) would smooth the
reading and avoid any unnecessary confusion. Assuming both (a) and (b)
meant the same thing, I would opt for (a) which is already defined on pp
3 of the background draft, considering (b) is never defined. While, if
anywhere (a) and (b) meant different things (for example, like I wrote
in our previous exchange respectively non-wire and wire representation
of the coefficients), I would state that down somewhere in the drafts.

- Sec. 2.1, representation Setup: "and where subsequent coding vectors
are deduced from the first *one*", I fear that is not clear which *one*,
do you mean the symbol or the coding vector or yet the seed?

- Sec. 2.2, field ENCODER RANK: the last bullet point /"Coded
symbols....in the coded symbols(s)" /sounds to me more like the general
field definition rather than a specific property. So, I would expect
that to be included into the field description at the beginning. For
example, like this:

/"ENCODER RANK represents the current rank of the encoder, that is, the
number of original symbols included in the coded symbols(s). It has the
following properties:"/

btw, I am not sure /included /was the best choice here, I would like to
see something like /"used to compute" /instead.

- Sec. 2.2, field SEED: the last bullet point /"In the case where no
random generator....by setting the TYPE flag to '3'" /sounds to me more
like a description/purpose of having different formats rather than a
property of this field. Indeed, this subsection is called "Field Types
and Formats", but it only explains the fields. You say sth about the
formats in the "Representation setup" section, where, imho, it could be
the place where to explain the supported formats and then only quickly
refer to them when needed to explain the related fields in Sec. 2.2.

- Sec. 2.2., field CODING COEFFICIENTS: in the last bullet point, you
use for the first time /"a predetermined field size", /I am not sure it
is clear that refers to a negotiated coding parameter. So, may be, you
could either refer to the background document or to the sec. 2.3. or
simply to remove this second part of the sentence /"each coding
coefficient having a predetermined field size"/

- Sec. 2.3, I understand the point that the following two sentences aim
to make /"Typically these parameters will be static throughout  the
instantiation of a protocol and can therefore be globally defined.
Consequently, there is little to gain by incorporating these parameters
into the representation but conversely it would add additional
overhead"/,  however it looks to me like this paragraph might need some
rephrasing. W.r.t. the first sentence, I would at least change
"throughout the instantiation" with "at the initialization", since I
guess that mostly refers to the possible initialization of a protocol
session, or yet with "throughout a protocol session" . By consequence, I
am not sure that "globally defined" is appropriate either since that
would only refer to the involved parties.

- some times /generation/window size/ is written in lower case (e.g., in
Sec 2.3), some others in upper case (e.g., representation setup). Is
this intended?

Finally, two typos in Sec. 2.3. : {instantitaion, incorperating}

I hope the above comments help. Once again, thank you very much for
producing this document.

Regards,

Salvatore