Re: [nwcrg] [dtn] Network Coding and SATCOM - call for review

<Tomaso.deCola@dlr.de> Thu, 08 November 2018 11:47 UTC

From: Tomaso.deCola@dlr.de
To: Nicolas.Kuhn@cnes.fr
CC: lloyd.wood@yahoo.co.uk, dtn@ietf.org, dtn-chairs@ietf.org, vincent.roca@inria.fr, marie@mjmontpetit.com, nwcrg@irtf.org
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 11:47:12 +0000
Subject: Re: [nwcrg] [dtn] Network Coding and SATCOM - call for review

Nicolas,

Just a quick comments about RFC 8406 you just mentioned to answer about the scope of network coding.

In the introduction is stated that:

"This document does not consider physical-layer transmission issues,
physical-layer codes, or error detection: if low-layer error codes
detect but fail to correct bit errors, or if an upper-layer checksum
(e.g., within IP or UDP) identifies a corrupted packet, then the
packet is supposed to be dropped."

As such I tend to exclude network coding as part of the physical layer, at least in the context of that RFC and I guess in the scope of this present I-D. One may want to talk about physical layer network coding, but this is in my view a different story...

Tomaso