Re: [OAUTH-WG] Confirmation: Call for Adoption of "OAuth Token Introspection" as an OAuth Working Group Item

Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org> Tue, 29 July 2014 17:37 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 13:36:38 -0400
From: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>
To: Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>, Paul Madsen <paul.madsen@gmail.com>, Phil Hunt <phil.hunt@oracle.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Confirmation: Call for Adoption of "OAuth Token Introspection" as an OAuth Working Group Item

I disagree with this position and think it's vital to standardize a
return structure and a common set of return values -- and that this work
would be rather pointless without it. Mike, I think you might be
thinking in terms of introspection simply unpacking what's already
contained inside the token, and the AS doing the effort of unpacking
that for the RS. This is, after all, what used to be the case for the
now-defunct OpenID Connect "CheckID Endpoint". But what's really
happening here is this general pattern:

  - The client passes the token to the RS. The client doesn't know or
care what's in the token or what it's used for, it just knows that it
can use the token at the RS.
  - The RS gets the token and passes it along to the introspection
endpoint on the AS. The means by which the RS figures out where its AS
is is out of scope for this bit of work.
  - The AS is looking at the token as passed in, (whether it's
structured like a JWT, a random UUID, an integer into a DB, whatever
deployment-specific bit you want) and figures out if the token is any
good and what it's for. The AS can do this in whatever
deployment-specific way it wants to: look up the token in a DB, unpack
the JWT and check the signature, decrypt the token's payload, whatever.
  - The AS returns (in a standardized JSON object) a set of claims about
the token. While it's possible that these claims can be included in the
token directly (as a JWT, for instance) and the RS could have read them
if it knew how to parse said token, it's important that they don't have
to be communicated that way and the token itself does not have to be
structured at all. The AS can literally issue a token of "foo.bar.123"
and the RS can do an introspection call to turn "foo.bar.123" into
{valid: true, sub: user-person, aud: resource-server, ... }
  - The RS looks at the returned JSON value and uses that to make its
authorization decision.

It's imperative to note that the token in OAuth is opaque to the
*client* -- it is not opaque to other parties, namely the AS. And in
most deployments, it's not opaque to the RS either, since the RS has to
be able to turn the OAuth token into something that can help it make
authorization decisions. Having an introspection endpoint with a
standardized return value would actually allow the token content itself
to be opaque to the RS as well as the Client.

All that said, I think there is enough variability and flexibility in
OAuth deployments that the introspection data response should (and so
far, has) follow the JWT model: define a core set of claims with clear
semantics, make them all optional apart from the common "active" field,
and allow for copious extension. It's a very simple, very useful pattern
that's been implemented by many different developers.

  -- Justin