[OAUTH-WG] Cache-Control headers for Bearer URI Query Parameter method

Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com> Thu, 17 May 2012 22:12 UTC

From: Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>
To: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 22:12:11 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.54.51.70]
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Cache-Control headers for Bearer URI Query Parameter method

Dear working group members:

I'm going through the remaining open issues that have been raised about the Bearer spec so as to be ready to publish an updated draft once the outstanding consensus call issues are resolved.

Amos Jeffries had cited this requirement in the HTTPbis spec ( http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p7-auth-19#section-2.3.1):

   o  The credentials carried in an Authorization header field are

      specific to the User Agent, and therefore have the same effect on

      HTTP caches as the "private" Cache-Control response directive,

      within the scope of the request they appear in.

      Therefore, new authentication schemes which choose not to carry

      credentials in the Authorization header (e.g., using a newly

      defined header) will need to explicitly disallow caching, by

      mandating the use of either Cache-Control request directives

      (e.g., "no-store") or response directives (e.g., "private").

I propose to add the following text in order to satisfy this requirement.  I have changed Amos' MUSTs to SHOULDs because, in practice, applications that have no option but to use the URI Query Parameter method are likely to also not have control over the request's Cache-Control directives (just as they do not have the ability to use an "Authorization: Bearer" header value):

    Clients using the URI Query Parameter method SHOULD also send a

    Cache-Control header containing the "no-store" option.  Server success

    (2XX status) responses to these requests SHOULD contain a Cache-Control

    header with the "private" option.

Comments?

                                                                -- Mike