Re: [OAUTH-WG] Client Credential Expiry and new Registration Access Token - draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg-10

Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org> Fri, 17 May 2013 16:01 UTC

Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 12:01:10 -0400
From: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>
To: Phil Hunt <phil.hunt@oracle.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org WG" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Client Credential Expiry and new Registration Access Token - draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg-10

The separation between these two is necessary: Not all clients have
client_secret, and you want the lifecycle/management of the registration
to be protected. This is what the registration access token was made
for. In older versions of Connect's registration, the client_secret was
forced on all clients in order to provide this, but then you had public
clients with a client_secret that they couldn't use to get tokens, and
it was a bad disconnect.

The requirement for client secrets to expire or otherwise be rotated by
the server came from several implementors in the Connect WG. There's an
easy way to indicate that they don't expire, and a fairly
straightforward way for them to be rotated (client does a GET on its
client configuration endpoint url, with its registration access token as
auth).

  -- Justin