Re: [OAUTH-WG] [token-exchange] exchanging between issuers/domains

Bill Burke <bburke@redhat.com> Fri, 28 July 2017 21:27 UTC

To: Brian Campbell <bcampbell@pingidentity.com>
Cc: oauth <oauth@ietf.org>
From: Bill Burke <bburke@redhat.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 17:27:04 -0400
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] [token-exchange] exchanging between issuers/domains

Thanks for replying,

The Introduction of the spec implies that inter-security-domain exchange
is supported: "

  A Security Token Service (STS) is a service capable of validating and
    issuing security tokens, which enables clients to obtain appropriate
    access credentials for resources in heterogeneous environments or
    across security domains.
"

But with the current API if you want to exchange an external token to an internal one, there is no way for the STS to identify where the subject_token originated.  Are you saying that an STS cannot accept tokens from an external domain?

i.e

subject_token: <opaque-string>

subject_token_type: urn:ietf:params:oauth:token-type:access-token

There's just no way for the STS to know where the subject_token came
from because the subject_token can be completely opaque.

Now, on the flip side, if you are converting from an internal token to
an external one, the audience parameter is just too undefined.  For
example, how could you specify that you want a token for an external
client of an external issuer.  Client ids are opaque in OAuth, and
issuer id isn't even something that is defined at all.  In OpenID
connect, an issuer id can be any URL.

IMO, adding optional "subject_token_issuer" and "requested_issuer"
parameters only clarifies and simplifies the cross-domain case.   If you
don't like "issuer" maybe "domain" is a better word?

Thanks for replying,

Bill