Re: [OAUTH-WG] Phishing with Client Application Name Spoofing

Mark Mcgloin <mark.mcgloin@ie.ibm.com> Tue, 17 January 2012 12:06 UTC

To: André DeMarre <andredemarre@gmail.com>
From: Mark Mcgloin <mark.mcgloin@ie.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:06:05 +0000
Cc: OAuth WG <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Phishing with Client Application Name Spoofing

Andre

Please feel free to propose text, perhaps with a better title than I
suggested. During our discussion on section 4.1.4 (End-user credentials
phished using compromised or  embedded browser), we have decided on the
countermeasure below, albeit for a different threat - phishing client as
opposed to client name spoofing. Your's can be a variant of this with
different validation recommendations.

2. Client applications could be validated prior to publication in an
application market for users to access. That validation is out of scope for
OAuth but could include validating that the client application handles user
authentication in an appropriate way

Regards
Mark

André DeMarre <andredemarre@gmail.com> wrote on 16/01/2012 23:20:02:

> Eran Hammer <eran@hueniverse.com> 16/01/2012 23:22
>

> Re: [OAUTH-WG] Phishing with Client Application Name Spoofing
>
> Eran,
>
> Yes; I think a section should be added to the security model doc.
>
> On 2011-12-16 Mark Mcgloin agreed and suggested we call it "Client
> Registration of phishing clients":
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/oauth/current/msg08061.html
>
> I'm happy to propose the text; it might be one or two days though.
>
> Regards,
> Andre DeMarre
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Eran Hammer <eran@hueniverse.com>
wrote:
> > Should this be added to the security model document? Is it already
> addressed there?
> >
> > EHL

I'll