Re: [OAUTH-WG] Clarification on section 3.3: missing scope parameter in access token request

John Bradley <ve7jtb@ve7jtb.com> Mon, 13 February 2012 16:33 UTC

From: John Bradley <ve7jtb@ve7jtb.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 13:33:02 -0300
To: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>
Cc: "OAuth WG (oauth@ietf.org)" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Clarification on section 3.3: missing scope parameter in access token request

It is a way of saying the AS doesn't need to return an error if scope is not included, though it has the option to return an error if it has no default scope.

However what the server may use as a default value us application specific.  e.g. the client may have registered a default scope or scopes, or a default is documented as part of some API.

I think the goal is that the behaviour of the AS is in some way predictable to the client, while leaving it to the individual API to define the behaviour of scopes including what to do if you don't get an explicit one in the request.

John B.