Re: [OAUTH-WG] Client Instances of An Application - Was: Re: Last call review of draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg-10

"Anganes, Amanda L" <aanganes@mitre.org> Tue, 04 June 2013 18:35 UTC

From: "Anganes, Amanda L" <aanganes@mitre.org>
To: "Richer, Justin P." <jricher@mitre.org>, Phil Hunt <phil.hunt@oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 18:17:18 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.146.16.16]
Cc: Derek Atkins <derek@ihtfp.com>, "oauth@ietf.org WG" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Client Instances of An Application - Was: Re: Last call review of draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg-10

+1

The fact that there has been so much discussion around this topic seems like a clear indicator to me that the group needs to carefully and precisely figure out the use cases and mechanisms needed to identify "application classes" or "client instances" (or whatever they should be called), in a secure and trustworthy manner. The security aspect is key here – otherwise we will end up with a situation like all the kerfluffle over the Implicit Grant and how it's not secure but everyone is using it (because it's easy) and it's bad for the OAuth 2.0 brand because it's not as secure.

Phil previously wrote:

I am NOT looking for a proof of application identity here. That is too far.
But certainly what we define here can open that door.

However, I think everyone else has made pretty convincing arguments as to why that's not a door worth opening in *this* spec, and cracking it open by just dropping in a self-asserted application ID could cause much more trouble than it's worth. DynReg has clear extension points to add new parameters if needed, but I agree with Justin that there are a lot of other things that need to be defined and specified beyond just adding an extra parameter.

Let's get DynReg finished and then those that are interested can start work on an extension to it, to fill in what's needed for client instance identification.

--Amanda