Re: [OAUTH-WG] Handling stored tokens in mobile app after software update with client credential change

Phil Hunt <phil.hunt@oracle.com> Thu, 03 April 2014 16:29 UTC

From: Phil Hunt <phil.hunt@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 09:29:09 -0700
To: George Fletcher <gffletch@aol.com>
Cc: OAuth WG <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Handling stored tokens in mobile app after software update with client credential change

I think there are two broad cases to consider:

1. Assuming each client “instance” gets its own client_id (e.g. via Dyn Reg), my concern about changing client_id is you loose track of the client software’s relation to the user. In many cases it is more important to track the software and its relation to the user rather than the fact that it updated. In these cases you might want to keep client_id the same and track versioning somewhere else (e.g. inside the client assertion or database).

2. If however all copies of a particular class of client software received the same client_id (e.g. because client_ids are issued to the developer), then you may wish to force a client_id change with each version. This allows differentiation of versions in use, etc and would seem to represent a good way to do things when dynamic registration is not possible or available.

Depending on the model (of client_id management) you go for, the reasons for voiding tokens and/or refresh tokens are likely different.

Phil

@independentid
www.independentid.com
phil.hunt@oracle.com

On Apr 3, 2014, at 8:24 AM, George Fletcher <gffletch@aol.com> wrote:

> Comments inline...
> On 4/3/14, 10:50 AM, Justin Richer wrote:
>> This is the question I had. The spec says not to share refresh tokens across clients, so it all depends on whether or not you consider a new version a new client. I've usually seen client_id stay the same across versions, since it's considered "the same client", but you could easily consider the new client_id an alias of the old client_id and consider the two of them flavors of "the same client".
> There are times where you want to track the change of semantics within a client. But yes, as Torsten says, we could treat the new client_id as an "alias" of the old client_id and issue a new set of tokens (refresh and access). I lose the ability to do the "sub" check (though that could be an additional parameter on the refresh_token call). Note that it also requires the client to be able to handle getting both a refresh_token and access_token on the response. That would be good client behavior anyway.
>
> And I agree that at token exchange time, the old refresh_token (and it's access tokens) would be revoked.
>>
>> Another option is to put all existing refresh tokens into a one-time-use bucket when the upgrade happens, so that the client gets issued a new refresh token the first time (and last time) it uses the old token with the new client_id.
>>
>>  -- Justin
>>
>> On 04/03/2014 10:43 AM, Torsten Lodderstedt wrote:
>>> Hi George,
>>>
>>> if you want to effectively preseve the refresh token, why doesn't the AS just treat the new client id as an alias of the the old client id?
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Torsten.

>>> 2. Verify that the "sub" value in the JWT is the same as that identified by the refresh_token
>>> 3. Verify that the client_id defined as the "issuer" is allowed to make this token exchange call and that the client_id in the refresh_token is one of those being replaced