Re: [OAUTH-WG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-oauth-token-exchange-10.txt

Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr> Fri, 01 December 2017 18:12 UTC

To: oauth@ietf.org
From: Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2017 19:12:30 +0100
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-oauth-token-exchange-10.txt

Comments on draft-ietf-oauth-token-exchange-10

I propose the following rephrasing for sections 6 and 7:

6 . Security Considerations

All of the normal security issues that are discussed in [JWT],especially
in relationship to comparing URIs
and dealing with unrecognized values, also apply here.  In addition,
both delegation and impersonation introduce
unique security issues. Any time one user receives a token, the
potential for abuse is a concern,
since that user might be willing to collude with another user so that
other user could use the token.

Techniques like the binding of an access token to a TLS channel
described elsewhere are ineffective since
the legitimate user would be able to perform all the cryptographic
computations that the other user would need
to demonstrate the ownership of the token. The use of the "scp" claim is
suggested to mitigate potential for
such abuse, as it restricts the contexts in which the token can be
exercised. If the issued access token scope
allows to unambiguously identify the user, then that user is likely to
be reluctant to collude with another user.
However, if the issued access token scope only indicates that the user
is over 18, then there is no risk
for the original user to be discovered and in such a context a collusion
may easily take place.
This document does not specify techniques to prevent such a collusion to
be successful.

7 . Privacy Considerations

Tokens typically carry personal information and their usage in Token
Exchange may reveal details of the target services
being accessed. The resource and the audience parameters allow
authorization servers to know where the issued access token
will be used. This may be a privacy concern for some users. This
document does not specify techniques to prevent
authorization servers to know where the access tokens they issue will be
used.

Denis