Re: [OAUTH-WG] Cross Platform Authentication - OAuth 2.0 Device Flow - WWW-Authenticate to advertise OAuth 2.0 support

"Manger, James" <James.H.Manger@team.telstra.com> Mon, 16 May 2016 01:06 UTC

From: "Manger, James" <James.H.Manger@team.telstra.com>
To: Nat Sakimura <sakimura@gmail.com>, Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>, "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>, "barroco@ebu.ch" <barroco@ebu.ch>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 11:05:18 +1000
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-AU
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Cross Platform Authentication - OAuth 2.0 Device Flow - WWW-Authenticate to advertise OAuth 2.0 support

Hi Nat,

RFC6750 “OAuth 2.0 Bearer Token Usage” section 3 “The WWW-Authenticate Response Header Field” is a start, but it isn’t really suitable. Firstly, it is a Bearer-specific, whereas we need is a way to say “OAuth 2.0 is available” regardless of the type of temporary credentials that get issued. It doesn’t include pointers to he AS, which CPA presumably require as their example includes this (I guess a link header can work, though including auth-specific info in a dedicated auth- header when auth is required but missing sounds like a decent fit).

Curiously, 1 of the 2 example scope values mentioned in RFC6750 section 3 for the WWW-Authenticate header has “openid”, but this is the one values that will never be useful there. scope=openid means the client app wants an id-token; it is pointless for a protected resource (which is the party returning WWW-Authenticate) to ask for it.

--
James Manger