Re: [OAUTH-WG] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-oauth-jwsreq-19: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Wed, 29 January 2020 23:20 UTC

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 15:20:14 -0800
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: Nat Sakimura <sakimura@gmail.com>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-oauth-jwsreq@ietf.org, oauth@ietf.org, oauth-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-oauth-jwsreq-19: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Nat,

Now it is my turn to apologize for taking a long time.

I think I see the general direction these changes are going in, and it's a
reasonable approach to the unfortunate situation we find ourselves in with
respect to JWT claims vs. OAuth parameters.  In effect, what we're doing is
making a "profile" (for lack of a better term) of JWT, that leverages the
mechanisms and algorithms of JWT but uses a different registry for
interpreting the claims in the token (that is, OAuth Parameters vs. JWT
Claims).  We can tell that this "profile" of JWT is being used because of
the context in which the JWT is transferred/received: if it's the "request"
parameter, that's part of the definition of the OAuth Parameter, and if
it's the result of dereferencing a "request_uri", the
application/oauth.authz.req+jwt media-type clearly indicates how the
contents should be interpreted.

However, the changes in the -20 do not give the reader much of any hint as
to this being what's expected to happen, and that stock RFC 7519 JWT is
*not* what's in use.  So I'd request that we take a close look at how the
document uses "JWT" vs. "JWT encoding" (etc.); add an explicit statement
that while the JWT encoding is in use, the contents are to be interpreted
by interpreting the JWT claims as OAuth Parameters (and not as per the IANA
registry of JWT claims); and add some discussion (similar to the above)
about how the application context makes it unambiguous whether the
JWT-encoded claims are standard JWT claims or OAuth Parmaters as per this
document.

With respect to my second ("discuss discuss") point, Nat and I did have a
discussion in-person and I accept that there may be some scenarios in which
skipping the authorization dialogue is appropriate, so the example can
remain.

Moving on from my Discuss position, I do get the sense from the ongoing
discussion on the list that there's not clear agreement about the current
formulation that requires all parameters (but "request" and "request_uri")
to be in the JAR, especially with respect to "client_id" that might be
needed to unpack the JAR in some cases!  So I'm not sure whether the WG
wants to bring the document back to the WG to iron out those issues before
it returns to the IESG.  I'm a little reluctant to switch my position to
"No Objection" until we have a clearer picture of what the WG wants to do
on this front -- in my understanding, we can't really publish the document
without at least some solution ("client_id") for the encrypted-request
key-lookup case.

Thanks,

Ben