Re: [OAUTH-WG] draft-ietf-oauth-revocation-04

Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net> Sat, 26 January 2013 17:34 UTC

Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 18:34:45 +0100
From: Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org WG" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] draft-ietf-oauth-revocation-04

Hi Hannes,

Am 11.01.2013 09:18, schrieb Hannes Tschofenig:
> Thank you Torsten for updating the document.
>
> Two issues have been raised:
>
> 1) Terminology: Authorization vs. access grant vs. authorization grant
>
> There is a little bit of email exchange on that topic:
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/oauth/current/msg10426.html
>
> I personally don't have an opinion on the terminology in this case.

I propose to change the term to "authorization grant". Any disagreement?

> 2) invalid_token error code
>
> As mentioned on the list, a new error code has to be registered (which is not a big deal). Re-using an error code with different semantic is of course confusing.
>
> Re-using an already defined error code and to provide additional text in the error_description is fine as long as the description relates to the originally defined error description. In the case of the invalid_request error code RFC 6749 defines it as
>
>     invalid_request
>                 The request is missing a required parameter, includes an
>                 invalid parameter value, includes a parameter more than
>                 once, or is otherwise malformed.
>
> and RFC 6750 says:
>
>     invalid_request
>           The request is missing a required parameter, includes an
>           unsupported parameter or parameter value, repeats the same
>           parameter, uses more than one method for including an access
>           token, or is otherwise malformed.  The resource server SHOULD
>           respond with the HTTP 400 (Bad Request) status code.

Peter and George suggested a new error code "invalid_parameter". Do you
suggest to reuse the

Extension error codes MUST be registered (following the procedures in
    Section 11.4  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6749#section-11.4>) if the extension they are used in conjunction with is a
    registered access token type, a registered endpoint parameter, or an
    extension grant type.  Error codes used with unregistered extensions
    MAY be registered.