Re: [OAUTH-WG] Token Transfer Protocol

Niklas Neumann <niklas.neumann@cs.uni-goettingen.de> Tue, 19 October 2010 07:40 UTC

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 09:42:08 +0200
From: Niklas Neumann <niklas.neumann@cs.uni-goettingen.de>
To: Marius Scurtescu <mscurtescu@google.com>
Cc: oauth@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Token Transfer Protocol

In the project I am working on we are using discovery based on dynamic
DNS but there probably are better ways. I felt that the discovery was
rather application specific and didn't really fit into the draft but I
am happy to expand if you think that will make things more clear.

Currently our (project-specific) workflow is something like this:
User wants to use (untrusted) public terminal to access a private
resource. Instead of his username he inputs his authentication device
address (i.e. DNS name of his mobile). Either the terminal or the server
(depending on where the protocol is supported) uses the address to run
STTP and then just substitutes the tokens STTP delivers as the user's
credentials.
The difference to a "normal" authentication is that all the "magic" is
happening on the mobile device where the user is comfortable enough to
use his actual credentials. For example, the device can use a
service-specific API (or actually STTP again) to retrieve a one-time
password that can be used (somewhat) safely on the public terminal.
Facebook just started a service to send people otps to their mobile
phone via text messages
(http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=436800707130) which could be
easily expanded to a more seamless (and world-wide available)
authentication scenario using STTP (I am not affiliated with Facebook in
any way, it's just an example).

Best regards
   Niklas