Re: [OAUTH-WG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-oauth-token-exchange-10.txt

Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr> Fri, 08 December 2017 21:46 UTC

To: Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>, Brian Campbell <bcampbell@pingidentity.com>
Cc: oauth <oauth@ietf.org>, Rifaat Shekh-Yusef <rifaat.ietf@gmail.com>, Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
From: Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 22:46:25 +0100
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] I-D Action: draft-ietf-oauth-token-exchange-10.txt

RFC 3552 (Guidelines for Writing RFC Text on Security Considerations)
states:

All RFCs are required by RFC 2223 to contain a Security
Considerations section.The purpose of this is both to encourage
document authors to consider security in their designs and to inform
the reader of relevant security issues.This memo is intended to
provide guidance to RFC authors in service of both ends.

Section 5 (Writing Security Considerations Sections) of RFC 3552 states:

While it is not a requirement that any given protocol or system be
immune to all forms of attack, it is still necessary for authors to
consider as many forms as possible.Part of the purpose of the
Security Considerations section is to explain what attacks are out of
scope and what countermeasures can be applied to defend against them

There should be a clear description of the kinds of threats on the
described protocol or technology.

It is important to mention the threat related to collusion attacks. A
different wording could be used,
but the threat should be mentioned**one way or another.

  RFC 6973 (Privacy Considerations for Internet Protocols) intends to
  provide a similar set of guidelines
  for considering privacy in protocol design.

  It is important to mention a current threat related to privacy. A
  different wording could be used,
  e.g. using the word "surveillance" as mentioned in 5.1.1 :
  "Surveillance is the observation or monitoring
  of an individual’s communications or activities", but the threat
  should be mentioned one way or another.

  Denis