Re: [OAUTH-WG] Access token timeout

Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org> Tue, 21 August 2012 15:01 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 11:00:13 -0400
From: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>
To: Guangqing Deng <dgq2011@gmail.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>, Jérôme LELEU <leleuj@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Access token timeout

Forgot to address this bit directly:

> So why not directly send the exact expiration time of an access token?

As Bill said, this question of "expires_in" vs. "expires_at" was
discussed in depth on the list. The truth is, "expires at" is
susceptible to clock skew between the server and client (or RS and AS),
and this was shown to be a real-world problem with both OAuth1 and
OpenID 2.0 timestamps. (I would imagine it's so with other systems as well.)

In Oauth1, tokens could expire on the client without the client ever
knowing what just happened. With this hint, a smart client can try to
refresh their token ahead of time if the timestamp is getting close.
Dumb clients still get to ignore it and just respond to an expired token
and revoked token in the same way, and everyone's happy.

  -- Justin