[OAUTH-WG] OAuth Milestone Update and Rechartering

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Thu, 08 May 2014 21:04 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 23:04:00 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] OAuth Milestone Update and Rechartering

Hi all,

you might have seen that we pushed the assertion documents and the JWT
documents to the IESG today. We have also updated the milestones on the
OAuth WG page.

This means that we can plan to pick up new work in the group.
We have sent a request to Kathleen to change the milestone for the OAuth
security mechanisms to use the proof-of-possession terminology.

We also expect an updated version of the dynamic client registration
spec incorporating last call feedback within about 2 weeks.

We would like you to think about adding the following milestones to the
charter as part of the re-chartering effort:

-----

Nov 2014 Submit 'Token introspection' to the IESG for consideration as a
Proposed Standard
Starting point: <draft-richer-oauth-introspection-04>

Jan 2015 Submit 'OAuth Authentication' to the IESG for consideration as
a Proposed Standard
Starting point: <draft-hunt-oauth-v2-user-a4c-01>

Jan 2015 Submit 'Token Exchange' to the IESG for consideration as a
Proposed Standard
Starting point: <draft-jones-oauth-token-exchange-00>

-----

We also updated the charter text to reflect the current situation. Here
is the proposed text:

-----

Charter for Working Group

The Web Authorization (OAuth) protocol allows a user to grant a
third-party Web site or application access to the user's protected
resources, without necessarily revealing their long-term credentials,
or even their identity. For example, a photo-sharing site that
supports OAuth could allow its users to use a third-party printing Web
site to print their private pictures, without allowing the printing
site to gain full control of the user's account and without having the
user share his or her photo-sharing sites' long-term credential with
the printing site.

The OAuth 2.0 protocol suite encompasses

* a protocol for obtaining access tokens from an authorization
server with the resource owner's consent,
* protocols for presenting these access tokens to resource server
for access to a protected resource,
* guidance for securely using OAuth 2.0,
* the ability to revoke access tokens,
* standardized format for security tokens encoded in a JSON format
  (JSON Web Token, JWT),
* ways of using assertions with OAuth, and
* a dynamic client registration protocol.

The working group also developed security schemes for presenting
authorization tokens to access a protected resource. This led to the
publication of the bearer token, as well as work that remains to be
completed on proof-of-possession and token exchange.

The ongoing standardization effort within the OAuth working group will
focus on enhancing interoperability and functionality of OAuth
deployments, such as a standard for a token introspection service and
standards for additional security of OAuth requests.

-----

Feedback appreciated.

Ciao
Hannes & Derek