Re: [OAUTH-WG] OAuth 2.0 Mix-Up Mitigation: My Impressions

Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net> Sat, 06 February 2016 11:33 UTC

To: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>, "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
From: Torsten Lodderstedt <torsten@lodderstedt.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 12:32:37 +0100
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] OAuth 2.0 Mix-Up Mitigation: My Impressions

Hi Hannes,

#2 is not directly described in the paper but was used to replay the
code/token the attacker obtained via #1. In my observation, the
discussion in Darmstadt has shown that OAuth (and its built-in
mitigations) so far focused on preventing code/token leakage but we lake
mitigation for replay in this particular case.

#2 does not require the attacker to control the network or the victim's
device. The attacker (using #1 or other attacks, e.g. on referrer
headers or log files) obtains a code and injects this code into a
legitimate OAuth/OIDC flow on its device. All she has to do is starting
a authz code flow on the legitimate client, the particular code was
issued for, and replace the code in the response from the AS. From the
client's perspective, the response looks ok, since it carries the
correct state value bound to the client in the particular user agent
(since this is not a XSRF). But since there is no way (currently) to
bind the code to a certain user agent, the client would accept the code
and exchange it for token(s) on the AS. That gives the attacker access
to resources of the victim and/or impersonates the attacker as the victim.

There are several way to mitigate this issue:
- OIDC has the "code id_token" response type, which uses nounce and
c_hash in the id_token to bind the code to the user agent session
- in Darmstadt we came up with the idea to utilize the state value for
that purpose.

Do we need to describe the threat and mitigation if
draft-jones-oauth-mix-up-mitigation? I don't think so.
We could describe the mechanisms in a different draft.

I personally would prefer (and Phil already states this as well) the WG
to work on a single draft, providing a consolidated view on all threats
caused by the more dynamic usage of OAuth. We could also include all
threats/mitigations/issues we have seen in the wild since RFC 6749 was
published. This would also include stronger advice regarding XSRF
prevention and open redirectors. I don't think we serve the community
well be spreading those issues and mitigation over 3 or 4 drafts.

best regards,
Torsten.