[OAUTH-WG] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg-28: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

"Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Fri, 24 April 2015 11:52 UTC

From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 04:52:05 -0700
Cc: draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg@ietf.org, oauth-chairs@ietf.org, oauth@ietf.org
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg-28: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg-28: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg/

DISCUSS:

(1) cleared

(2) If the response (defined in 3.2.1) includes metadata that
the server has altered, but that the client doesn't like, then
what does the client do? (It may be that that's ok, but I'm
not following why that is the case.) I'm also not sure the
"https" requirement (1st bullet in section 5) is useful there.

We had some mail discussion on this but I'd like to
continue that a bit more to understand if the changes
in -28 address the issue. I'll send mail.

(3) cleared

COMMENT:

My previous DISCUSS point (1) is below. That has been
handled via new text in section 5 (on p27). I do wonder
though if you ought also say a bit about, or point at a
reference describing, the possible bad outcomes if
one of these URLs  goes bad. The new text I think
assumes that the developer will get how bad that can
be, but I'm not sure if they would or not.

(1) General: there are many URIs sent to the AS from the
client here. Nothing prevents the client messing about with
the content served from those later, after registration. What
mechanism holds clients accountable for such misbehaviours?
(Examples, logo_uri, tos_uri, policy_uri, jwks_uri) Section 5
does say that the AS "SHOULD check" but does not say what
"checking" means, nor what to do if the check fails.  I think
a bit more security considerations-like text here, reflecting
what is (or ought;-) actually be done would be good. Do you
agree?

--- OLD COMMENTS, I didn't check if they'd been handled

- s2, software_version: what is the impact if the s/w is
updated twice a day, every day?

- 3.2.1 - why is the response status 201? That may be correct,
but seems to subtle if so to only state in an exmaple.

- s5, last para - "be very particular" is not good spec
language - what do you actually mean that can be implemented?

- thanks for section 6 - it's great to see thought being
devoted to these issues.

- Did the secdir review [1] get a response? And I think I
quite agree with Charlie's point#2 about versions.

   [1] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/secdir/current/msg05519.html