[OAUTH-WG] Implementation Support and Community

Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org> Thu, 23 August 2012 14:39 UTC

Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:38:14 -0400
From: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>
To: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Implementation Support and Community

With the core specs basically out the door and seeing wider adoption and
publicity, the OAuth community is going to start to get more questions
about "how do I do X?", and many of these are questions that have been
answered before or seem "obvious" to those of us who have been up to our
ears in the spec for the past few years. Nevertheless, these are
important questions to support for the wellbeing of the protocol
community, but where should they be asked?

When the OAuth community lived on a simple Google Group, these kinds of
questions make sense. But I'd argue that the IETF list is not really the
right place for them. This list, and the IETF in general, seems to be
best suited for *building* the protocol, not for the *use* and *support*
of said protocol once it's built.

The problem is that, as of right now, we don't have anywhere to point
people where they could get a "real" answer.

This opens a larger question of who might "sponsor" or "host" such a
community. Anything like that needs moderators, and more importantly,
needs experts willing to answer the questions. Some options I can think of:

  - Revive the google groups list for these kinds of questions/discussions
  - Start a new list/forum, linked to oauth.net
  - Point everyone to StackOverflow with an "oauth" tag

  -- Justin (who is not volunteering himself to host or moderate the group)