Re: [OAUTH-WG] JSON Web Token (JWT) Profile

"Manfred Steyer" <manfred.steyer@gmx.net> Tue, 11 March 2014 19:28 UTC

From: Manfred Steyer <manfred.steyer@gmx.net>
To: 'Hannes Tschofenig' <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>, 'Antonio Sanso' <asanso@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 20:28:03 +0100
Cc: oauth@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] JSON Web Token (JWT) Profile

Hi,

perhaps you can show that I'm wrong, but I still think, that there are
cases, where the subject is unknown cause it's not relevant. Let's consider
the following federation-scenario:

1. Bob has a Token T1 that says, that he works  for Company A on Project B.
The Subject of this token is "Bob".
2. Company X says, that everyone in Company A working for Project B gets
access to Accounting-Information.
3. Bob exchanges this Token T1 at Company X's AuthServer for another Token
T2. T2 contains a claim AccessLevel=Accouting. T2 could also get a copy of
the subj-claim, but Company X doesn't care about that, cause no one in
Company B knows Bob.

The only reason I can imagine, why the sub-claim should be copied into T2 is
because of tracing and finding out, that there is a correlation between T2
und T1. But this could be accomplished with other mechanisms too.

Did I oversee something? If there is another reason, why sub is mandatory, I
think, it would not hurt too much to copy the sub-claim from T1 to T2 (and
from T2 to T3 etc.)...

Wishes
Manfred