[OAUTH-WG] Reason why no user identifier?

Jim Pravetz <jdp@cayosystems.com> Sat, 11 September 2010 01:02 UTC

Sender: jpravetz@cayosystems.com
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:03:08 -0700
From: Jim Pravetz <jdp@cayosystems.com>
To: oauth@ietf.org
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Reason why no user identifier?

I'm curious and would appreciate some background as to why there is no
user identifier associated with tokens (access, refresh, or
authorization code)? It seems so common to use identifiers, and
convenient, that this is a surprise. In contrast, the spec does define
a client identifier.

In my use case I have a client (native application) that stores
records retrieved from a server, for one or more individuals (i.e. I
maintain credentials for multiple users). Without a user identifier,
it would seem that user identification would have to be retrieved from
data returned from the protected resource, and it seems plausible that
existing protocols might not have this capability.

It would also seem more efficient to be able to determine if a user
already has a local (on client) credential without going through the
full process of getting an access token and retrieving a protected
resource. For instance, if a user initiates an enrollment process the
process could be stopped early if a token for a userid is already
possessed.

I would think the protected resource server would also benefit from a
user identifier. At a minimum it would provide useful logging
information for failed login attempts, and perhaps could be used in
risk analysis.

Apologies if this is an old topic or if I missed the explanation somewhere.

Regards, Jim