Re: [OAUTH-WG] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-oauth-token-exchange-18: (with COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Sun, 21 July 2019 04:28 UTC

Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 23:28:41 -0500
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: Brian Campbell <bcampbell=40pingidentity.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Cc: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>, oauth-chairs@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-oauth-token-exchange@ietf.org, oauth <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-oauth-token-exchange-18: (with COMMENT)

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 10:05:57AM -0600, Brian Campbell wrote:

> > that “A is
> > be
> > (only for
> > email).
> > token
> > >
> > > My initial response was going to be "sure, I'll add some bits in sec 1.1
> > along those lines to clarify
> > > that." However, as I look again at that section for good opportunities
> > to make such additions, I feel
> > > like it is already said that impersonation is controlled.
> > > So I think it already says that and I'm gonna have to flip it back and
> > ask if you have concrete
> > > suggestions for changes or additions that would say it more clearly or
> > more to your liking?
> >
> > It is mentioned, true, and that might be enough.  But given that Eve
> > also replied that she would like more here, let me suggest something,
> > the use of which is entirely optional -- take it, don't take it,
> > modify it, riff on it, ignore it completely, as you think best.  What
> > do you think about changing the last sentence of the paragraph?: "For
> > all intents and purposes, when A is impersonating B, A is B within the
> > rights context authorized by the token, which could be limited in
> > scope or time, or by a one-time-use restriction."
> >

> Sure, I think that or some slight modification thereof can work just fine.
> I'll do that and get it and the rest of these changes published when the
> I-D submission embargo is lifted for Montreal.

My brain is apparntly storming and not sleeping.  Another option for
consideration, is to have two sentences:

For all intents and purposes, when A is impersonating B, A is B within the
rights context authorized by the token.  A's ability to impersonate B could
be limited in scope or time, or even with a one-time-use restriction,
whether via the contents of the token or an out-of-band mechanism.

-Ben