Re: [OAUTH-WG] Questions on draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg-09 - token_endpoint_auth_method

Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org> Thu, 25 April 2013 13:30 UTC

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 09:29:57 -0400
From: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>
To: Phil Hunt <phil.hunt@oracle.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org WG" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Questions on draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg-09 - token_endpoint_auth_method

The thing to remember is that all of these parameters are bi directional
since the configuration is echoed back to the client. On the one hand
(C->S), it's the client stating its preference. On the other direction
(S->C) it's the server specifying the client's configuration. So the
server *does* say that the client must do authn method X in its
response, using the same parameter. And if the client wants a method
that doesn't get supported, then it doesn't get to use it. But at least
it has a chance to know about that by looking at the server's response.
Same goes with scopes, grant types, and others.

It is a singular value. At one point I had had it in there as an array
(space separated list of strings, I think), but the Connect working
group didn't want to make it plural at the time.

  -- Justin

On 04/24/2013 06:55 PM, Phil Hunt wrote:
> Right and if the client wants a method not supported then what?
>
> Why can't the client offer up a list of methods it is able to support,
> say in order of preference?
>
> The text appears to indicate only one value may be passed.
>
> Given the way it is written. It seems better to just have the server
> say the client must do authn method X in the response.
>
> Phil
>
> @independentid
> www.independentid.com <http://www.independentid.com>
> phil.hunt@oracle.com <mailto:phil.hunt@oracle.com>
>

> On 2013-04-24, at 3:41 PM, John Bradley wrote:
>
>> In Connect the AS may support a number of token endpoint
>> authentication methods.   The reason to allow a client to register
>> using a particular one is to prevent downgrade attacks.
>>
>> If the client wants to always use an asymmetric signature you don't
>> want to allow attackers to use weaker methods like http basic.
>>
>> So a server may support any number of methods, but it is reasonable
>> for a client to specify which one it is going to use.   In a closed
>> system that may not be that useful but in a open system where the AS
>> has a looser relationship to the client it is important.
>>
>> John B.
>>
>> On 2013-04-24, at 7:30 PM, Phil Hunt <phil.hunt@oracle.com
>> <mailto:phil.hunt@oracle.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hmmm… what was the objective or use case for having the client being
>>> able to choose in the first place?
>>>
>>> It seems to me that the AS will make a decision based on many
>>> factors. As you say, there isn't any other place that enumerates the
>>> various [authn] methods a client can use to access the token