Re: [OAUTH-WG] Basic signature support in the core specification

Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> Sat, 25 September 2010 02:23 UTC

From: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
To: Dick Hardt <dick.hardt@gmail.com>, Eve Maler <eve@xmlgrrl.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 19:23:31 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: OAuth WG <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Basic signature support in the core specification

Most developers don't know if they need signatures! By putting them elsewhere we will be promoting the bearer token approve as the default choice and that's unacceptable to me. It is promoting a specific security compromise (for developer ease) that is far from industry consensus.

I can make the same arguments about assertions. Or any single profile. Or any client credentials type. The bits that are in are based solely on a team effort in trying to accommodate as many people as possible. Seems like those opposed signatures got everything they want, don't really care about others, and are ready to call it a day.

EHL