Re: [OAUTH-WG] Confusion on Implicit Grant flow

Prateek Mishra <prateek.mishra@oracle.com> Mon, 09 February 2015 21:21 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 13:21:15 -0800
From: Prateek Mishra <prateek.mishra@oracle.com>
To: oauth@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Confusion on Implicit Grant flow

The implicit flow depends upon a subtle and little known aspect of
browser behavior - that the URI fragment component isn't propagated
across redirects.

I havent checked this recently - but I am aware that several folks have
found that some browser versions dont comply with this requirement.
http://weblog.bulknews.net/post/85008516879/covert-redirect-vulnerability-with-oauth-2

The additional round-trip issue is also unclear. The implicit flow
requires an additional redirect (round-trip) to retrieve JS which
retrieves the access token from the fragment URI.

How is that different from a HTTPs callback to exchange the access code
for the access token?

- prateek