Re: [OAUTH-WG] Manual Authorization Codes -- Help/Feedback requested

Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org> Wed, 11 January 2012 20:45 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 15:44:54 -0500
From: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>
To: Gregory Prisament <greg@powercloudsystems.com>
Cc: oauth@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Manual Authorization Codes -- Help/Feedback requested

You definitely can do that with an app-specific password using the
resource owner password flow, but if you're already doing OAuth, why
would you want to?

The Device flow fell by the wayside not because people didn't see value
in it -- many do -- but nobody in the group was actively implementing
against it and nobody wanted to pick up editorship of it. David did us
the courtesy of at least capturing those parts of the protocol into a
document so that they wouldn't be lost entirely, but what it really
needs now is an editor to step up and see it through to completion. This
WG is planning to recharter or re-form or something in the near future,
and if there's a champion behind the Device doc (and someone willing to
do the actual work of editing the text), then we'll see it come up again.

  -- Justin